Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mug Rugs and 100 Years Calgary Stampede

Been awhile since I last posted, just too busy in the garden and outside. Trying to keep on top of the weeds, but we've had so much rain it is hard to get into the vegetable garden without sinking. Good excuse anyway. I should make some covers for my knees so my pants don't get so muddy crawling around in the dirt.

Made these Mug Rugs some time ago, but decided I needed something to post.
Fronts and backs, a couple are just in time for the Calgary Stampede coming up next week.
Speaking of the Calgary Stampede, I have 3 old post cards from my Grandma Pearl.
My maternal grandparents were married in Calgary July 1912, and must have returned in September for the first Stampede. Rumors are Grandma raced her horse there but I am not certain of that.
I remember these postcards pinned on a bulletin board in the upstairs bedroom. They were one of the things I wanted when Grandma moved from her house. Kind of faded and one has something on it, but don't know how to clean it, so it can stay that way for now.
Real Cowboys and Cowgirls

I never knew my Grandfather, he died 1939, and my Grandmother always seemed old. She was quite the cowgirl and had her own cattle brand when she was 16 in 1904 before Alberta was even a province. I still have that brand registered to me. I've got those gloves she is wearing and another white beaded leather pair also. Picture taken 1903.

1912, Forrest and Pearl on her horse Swift.